Experienced Attorneys In Estate Administration
If you have been named the executor of another person’s estate or a trustee or successor trustee of a trust, you should feel honored by the trust and confidence that has been placed in you. However, you are also probably wondering what exactly is required of you.
At the law office of J. Jeffrey Press, P.A., we advise executors, administrators and trustees in need of guidance. Call 973-323-2654 to discuss your specific concerns. We serve clients in Parsippany, Clifton and throughout northern New Jersey.
What Is Involved In New Jersey Probate?
Unlike probate in many other states, New Jersey probate is relatively simple and straightforward, although costly mistakes are possible. Our lawyers can guide you through the necessary legal steps such as:
- Submitting the will to the surrogate in the county where the decedent resided (or if there is no will, the estate will be administered through the local surrogate according to New Jersey’s law of intestate succession)
- Completing an inventory of the estate’s assets
- Paying bills owed to creditors of the estate
- Distributing assets to people who are supposed to receive them according to the instructions of the will, the beneficiary designation or by another method such as a transfer on death deed (or, if there is no will, as determined by the New Jersey law of descent and distribution)
- Assisting with sales of assets such as real estate
- Filing final income tax, inheritance tax and estate tax returns with the IRS and the state of New Jersey
- Submitting a final accounting of the estate to the beneficiaries for their consent or to the probate court if the beneficiaries take exception to the accounting
- Defending the executor in any estate litigation such as a will contest
In addition to representing executors, we represent beneficiaries who want to have an attorney protect their interests in the probate process.
What If I Have Been Named Successor Trustee Of A Trust Or The Successor Executor Of An Estate?
If you have been named a successor trustee of a trust or the successor executor of an estate, our attorneys can advise you of your responsibilities in administering the trust or the estate, including paying taxes and making distributions to beneficiaries of the trust.
We work to help you understand the process and to alleviate your burden.
Contact Us For Guidance In Probate And Estate Administration
To schedule a consultation with the law firm of J. Jeffrey Press, P.A., please call our office or fill out our convenient contact form.